Many of you have heard the story and received the updates as it was happening, but I thought that I would journal the events in this blog for all to see and for me to reflect upon (not that I'm going to forget the events any time soon!). On Wednesday, February 29th (Leap Day), I went into my OB's office to run some blood work which was going to tell if we needed to induce or not the next day. While I was there, I mentioned to a nurse that I had "sprung a bit of a leak" that morning. A doctor checked me out and surprisingly said my water had broke, not what I was expecting! She said I must get to the hospital within the hour. I got permission to go home for 5 minutes and grab some of my things since I didn't have anything with me.
At the time, Grant had just begun preaching a Wednesday morning Bible study. I texted his friend Patrick to notify Grant to call me as soon as he was done. I didn't want to interrupt the sermon, but I didn't want to waste anytime once he was done.
I drove myself to the hospital, at this time I was feeling fine with slight discomforts of contractions, but nothing more than that. I checked myself in at the front desk and walked myself to my room, very strange! The nurse checked me in and we did lots of paperwork. Grant arrived as soon as the nurse was about to start my IV. Inserting the IV was one of the most painful parts of the whole process. After awhile, the pain in my hand started to fade and I wasn't as aware that I had a plastic tube in my hand.
Like I said, I was having slight contractions, but the doctor said as long as I was able to read a book and laugh and talk, they weren't strong enough. Over the next 24 hours they gave me doses of pitocin expecting for the contractions to increase and they didn't. Throughout that time period it was just a waiting game. I kept asking for the doctor and updates, no one really knew anything because they were waiting on my body. Unfortunately, I kept myself awake most of the night expecting for the doctor to come in and begin delivery. That didn't happen! Looking back I wish I would have gotten pain medicine to dull the contractions that I was feeling so that I could've gotten more rest.
A new mid wife came at 12 noon on Thursday, March 1st. She said that I had been examined too often and that she would examine me once or twice. When she did her first exam she learned that my water didn't fully break and that is why I wasn't experiencing heavier contractions; the water bag was holding the pitocin back. She punctured the bag and on came labor!
I began to experience pain like I had never felt before. Never have I had pain that controlled my breathing, speaking, and thoughts. I buried my head in the midwife's chest as she helped me control my breathing. Between contractions I asked for the epidural, but knowing it would take 30 minutes to administer, I asked for pain medicine as well.
The anesthesiologist came just in time. My mid wife talked me through the epidural and it wasn't as bad as I expected. At that time I was in so much pain that I welcomed relief!
A short while after I got the epidural I was resting more soundly and anticipating delivery. About 4 hours later I asked the nurse what the plan was; at this point I had been in labor for 28 hours. She then paged my midwife who came in my room 10 minutes later. Upon her second exam she learned that I was fully dilated and ready to go. She wanted me to practice pushing, which turned out to be very successful. Ten minutes later Ms. Annabelle arrived!
Because there was some meconium in the womb, the NICU, neonatal intensive care unit, was there to administer help to Annabelle, if needed. Thankfully she didn't need the team and she was born a healthy and beautiful baby girl!
She was born at 4:57 p.m. weighing at 7 pounds 3 ounces and 19 inches long. Praise God for His blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment